Dr Arif H Sarmast is an accomplished Neurosurgeon, has been a graduate and topper at Sher I Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar, India. He was later selected to become Faculty, in the same institute. Thereafter, he joined as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Neurosurgery Jawahar Lal Nehru Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University and worked there for several years.
Dr Arif has not only developed excellent surgical techniques for a wide variety of brain tumors, with an emphasis on micro and endoscopic neurosurgery and but also has vast expertise in operating Brain aneurysms and AVMs. He has to his credit successful treatment of various complex spinal disorders especially of the Craniovertebral Junction (upper neck) and Lumbosacral Junction (lower back). His repertoire includes both open and minimally invasive spine surgeries (Fusions as well as Motion Preservation Surgeries) on a variety of congenital, degenerative, scoliotic (deformity), traumatic and infective problems of the whole spine. He has more than 40 scientific publications, chapters in books and is an invited speaker in national and international meetings.
- Life Member, Neurological Society of India (NSI)
- Life Member, Neurological Surgeons Society of India (NSSI)
- Brain Tumor Surgery
- Cerebrovascular Surgery (Aneurysms, AVMs)
- Minimally Invasive (Keyhole) Spine Surgery (for slipped discs, canal stenosis)
- Craniovertebral Junction (CVJ) Anomalies like Atlantoaxial
- Spinal Fractures – including cementing (Kyphoplasty and Vertebroplasty)
- Endoscopic Spine Surgery (for slipped discs and tumors)
- Spinal Deformity correction (Kyphosis and Scoliosis)
- Spinal Tumors – including keyhole tumor removal
- Disc replacement (Artifical Disc Placements)
- Spinal Tuberculosis & Discitis